Thursday, February 19, 2009

why

The point of this blog is to chronicle the ownership of a bike that comes to me with so many miles on it and the experiences I have along the way. Buying a bike of this age comes with many risks. I hope that BMW engineering and good ownership practices will keep this bike running well into the next decade.

I was also looking for a place to keep track of maintenance, parts, servicing, break-downs, etc. Instead of keeping some archaic owner's logbook, I will post everything here.

Here is an excerpt from a posting I made on advrider.com shortly after I bought the bike. I think it explains my feelings about the bike and how I look at the road ahead:

"...Thanks for all the help everyone. I rode the bike today for a good long while, around town in traffic and then up the Keys for a nice long freeway cruise.

Tight as a drum, shifts smooth as silk. Power is clean and comes on smooth up the rev spectrum. Nice and stable at 60, 70 and 80. Had a nice talk with the owner about his history with the bike and got more information about his servicing and his dealer servicing history. Felt very good about the additional information.

I have a proposed deal with him, which is about $500 more than I wanted to pay but about $1000 less than he wanted. With the extras (Jesse's, tank, PIAA's etc) I think I am alright with the price.

As important as the price is the fact that I really like this bike. It fits me. I like the look, from the matte finish black and olive tank to the worn seat. It feels right for my style.

Time will tell if I have made a wise choice or a foolish expenditure on a bike with over 100,000 miles on it. Service is a long 180 miles on a trailer away in Miami. This will either be a gem that gives me another 50,000 miles of pleasure or a headache that gives me a crash course on 1150 mechanical failure.

I will keep you all posted on the outcome of this gamble, but I am ready to ride on a bike I have wanted for a long time.

Thanks again for all the help, opinions and encouragement...."

No comments:

Post a Comment